Would you call the smell of wild garlic “perfume“? Probably not! But it is a beautiful flower.
I started drafting an Earth Day post that was becoming depressing. So I have decided on a list of ten positive actions anyone can do for our Mother Earth instead. Actions to help us live in harmony with the planet we call home.
- Go outside. Close your eyes for fifteen second and use you ears to listen and your nose to smell.
- Plant some vegetable or herb seeds, even if it is only in a pot or window box.
- Walk or cycle somewhere you would usually drive to.
- Find a local farm shop and buy something.
- If you live in Ireland, sign the petition to strengthen the draft climate change plan. If you live in another country find out what your government is doing about climate change.
- If you have left overs from dinner, eat them the following day for lunch. Don’t throw them in the bin
- Make a more sustainable choice in one food product you buy each week. For example, buy organic free range eggs, or organic flour etc.
- Pick a sunny day, and look in your garden or go to your nearest park and see how many bees and butterflies you can see.
- Instead of your usual present when you go to visit someone bring them a nice flowering plant they can put in their garden.
- Find a new woodland, nature reserve or other wild place to visit.
Downpatrick Head, Co Mayo, Ireland
Moorehall is one of our favourite places to go for a walk, here in County Mayo. Here are some of yesterday’s little wildlife highlights. The Holly Blue butterfly is small and delicate. The inside wings are the blue of an evening sky in summer, so seeing them flying along is like watching fragments of sky flutter about.