So six months in how is my list of 17 for 2017 doing. Definitely time to review.
17. Help seventeen people learn more about their environment.
Completed. I have been really lucky this year as I have been asked to run various workshops, both on pollinators and biodiversity. I really enjoyed working with our local country-life museum doing a biodiversity workshop with 30 school children a couple of weeks ago and will be doing a family biodiversity workshop for heritage week in August.
16. Send sixteen mammal records to the National Biodiversity Data Centre
Only five so far. A wood mouse, two pygmy shrew and two roadkill (badger and fox).
15. Give away fifteen homegrown flower or vegetable plants to worthy homes
Six to date to friends and family. This doesn’t include things grown and planted in school garden.
14. Fourteen fun days out with the family
13. Learn thirteen new words
Oxford dictionaries.com is a great website I have been looking at. I have learned the world muumuu. Which I think is great addition to my scrabble vocabulary. It’s a type of dress in case you were wondering.
I also like “mouse potato” which is someone who spends a lot of time on the computer for leisure or work.
And “nagware” which is computer software which is free for a time but then constantly reminds you to buy!
12. Write twelve blog posts (ideally one a month) on an environmental topic
11. Read eleven new authors
A boy made of blocks by Keith Stuart: A story about a dad learning how to love and see his autistic child just as a boy and not as a child with autism.
The trouble with goats and sheep by Joanne Cannon: A who done it with a difference, sometimes viewed through the eyes of a twelve year old.
10. Complete ten butterfly and or bee monitoring transects this year
Only four so far. Hopefully will get more done in the summer
9. Find 9 ways of encouraging more wildlife into our garden
Am creating two new wildflower area. Work in progress
8. Discover 8 new things
Chi seeds, beneficial health benefits and good for baking
Plantain (the plant) has amazing properties. Need to do more research
7. Send seven letters to friends
Only one yet
6. Try six new recipes
Oh dear, failing again. Must try harder! Though did try frying fresh kale leafs with some lamb cutlets which proved popular with everyone in the house.
5. Have five swims
Only paddles yet!
4. Find four positive ways of helping those in need
I visited a school to give them some advice on making their school grounds more environmentally friendly
3. Plant three new vegetables or fruit that I did not grown in the garden last year
So far I have only stuck with the old reliables!
2. Record two new species for the garden
Done. Humming bird hawk moth and a carabid beetle who’s name I can’t just recall.
1. Attend one cultural event