So here we are one week into 2019. I am not making resolutions this year but instead coming up with 19 positive ways to help the environment. These may be things I already do, may be things I wish to do better or maybe something I haven’t tried yet. I hope you can find some inspiration here too. Here and there I have include some links with more information.
1. Compost whatever we can.
2. Grow some more food. I am hoping to grow more in my vegetable plot this year. Even if you just have a window still you can grow some herbs.
3. Buy some stainless steel containers for buying meat or fish from local butcher/fishmonger.
4. Use canvass or other types of reusable shopping bags.
5. Investigate what we can order in bulk, to reduce waste.
6. Seek alternatives to goods sold in plastic. So for example, buy solid soap bars as opposed to liquid soap. Alternatively, find somewhere were we can refill plastic bottles of washing up liquid or detergent.
7. Make more space for wildlife in the garden. And / or work with local community groups to improve areas for biodiversity.
8. Make more of our own bread and when buying do so from bakery that uses paper only bags/wrappings.
9. Don’t buy bottled water. Bring your own.
10. Buy unwrapped fruit and vegetable. Local market may be good place to start.
11. Make own yogurt in grass jars.
12. Walk and cycle more.
13. Plant some more Pollinator Friendly Flowers (will do post on this soon).
14. Cut the lawn less.
15. Buy clothes made from natural fibers (cotton, lines, wool etc) and organic if possible.
16. Donate unwanted clothes and other items to your local charity shop.
18. If painting, use eco friendly paints.
19. Take time to go for walks and enjoy nature.