Forest Flood – Climate Change

The rain continues relentlessly as do the grey days. It is the time of year I long for even a glimpse of the sun. You can’t go anywhere but your feet are squelching underfoot. This week part of the forestry below the house was under a couple of feet of water. It usually happens at least once each winter. Climate change models suggest that Ireland will expereince cooler summers, milder winters and more rain, which pretty much summarises what we have experienced this year.

It frustrates me that our politicians are not really taking climate change seriously. While on one hand at the COP21 global summit on climate change in Paris our Taoiseach (prime-minister) Enda Kenny said we must act now, he also said that financial challenges will prevent Ireland from making stronger cuts in emissions from our agriculture sector. Yes, agriculture is vital to our Irish economy, but climate change will effect every man, woman and child on this planet. What will the politicians tell their children and grandchildren; we had a chance but we didn’t act? Surely now is a time to lead by example.

 

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Forest Flood – Climate Change

  1. gaiainaction

    We have all waited already too long before doing something about it. It will be hard to face our grandchildren in the future and explain why not enough was done and why not in time. Hopefully something good will come from the conference in Paris.
    Your photos are exquisite!

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
    1. Murtagh's Meadow Post author

      So true. Some of the forest is due to be cut this year too (we don’t own it) – which is another story. It will be replanted though but we are not looking forward to it.

      Like

      Reply
  2. Julie

    Well said and your images are so striking. We should all be making changes in our own lives too as well as continued pressure put on governments. Less meat or no meat. No coal, switch to renewable energies, recycle are things we can do and to keep on lobbying and bringing attention to this terrible terrible situation.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
  3. Jane

    The beautiful pictures do say it all. So heartening to see Avaaz’s photos of the demos around
    the world. But it certainly is down to the politicians and they must act fully now.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
  4. Lori Fontanes

    Thanks for sharing these beautiful images and thoughtful observations! I agree with you that we must lead by example. It’s also clear to me that we will need to come up with some new examples because our species (let alone the rest of the planet!) has never encountered this set of problems before. Vision and leadership–that’s what we need! 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
  5. Pingback: Storm Desmond | Murtagh's Meadow

  6. Karuna

    Interesting that that happens in Ireland too. In U.S. even though most of the country believes in climate change now there are still large segments who discount it and/or don’t believe they are man made. They just say the weather changes are evolutionary. And as you said, the tendency even for people who do believe in it is to say we can’t afford to make changes fast.

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
    1. Murtagh's Meadow Post author

      It is the same here – in a recent survey here 86% believed in climate change but that still leaves 14% who don’t. Unfortunately our children and grandchildren will pay for our neglect.

      Liked by 1 person

      Reply

Comments welcome

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s